Bohemia is a pioneer of Punjabi rap and one of the key artists responsible for the genre’s current success. Songs by Bohemia have been consistent hits among desi hip hop fans. We don’t feel the need to introduce him because his name is already well-known. An artist has a slew of fans who want to know every detail about their favorite artist’s life.
Back in 2006, when Indian hip hop lovers were hanging over 50 Cent’s Massacre album, and the majority of ‘pseudo hip hop lovers’ had lip synchronized to the tracks of Eminem. After that, from nowhere, a desi rapper named ‘Pesa Nasha Pyar’ and the genre that we call ‘Punjabi Rap’ is born, under the name of Bohemia (America).
The same genre has quickly been destroyed, under the guise of hip hop, by Honey Singh, Raftaar, and Badshah. All right, if there’s a desiJay-Z or Nas or Talib Kweli, it’s Bohemia. And it’s those ‘supposed rappers’ Honey Singh, Raftaar, and Badshah, and others who follow this if there are any Pitbull or Flo-Rida from desi hip-hop. It’s not difficult to figure out who is and always will be the legends.
Bohemia was born in Karachi, Sindh on October 15, 1979, and attended school in Peshawar, Pakistan. He migrated to the United States with his family when he was 13 years old. The term “Bohemia” connotes a rejection of conventional ideals. Rap, on the other hand, is all about expressing one’s inner worries or feelings. Bohemia’s wife’s name is Sunny David. His father worked at Pakistan International Airlines. The family moved to Lahore, where he spent his youth, and then to Peshawar for seven years.
Around that time, he began learning music from his father and penning Punjabi poetry. He also played the keyboard at local desi events on occasion. He usually authored Urdu Punjabi songs and poems. When he was only 16 years old, his mother died of cancer.
Raja was expelled from school, which is why he has no educational background. His nationality is now American, and he resides in San Francisco, California, USA.
Ra was now spending his days on the road with a band of other musicians, playing shows across the United States and Canada while sleeping in automobiles and recording studio floors. Ra would learn about stage presence as a result of this event.
He moved to Oakland with his cousin who worked in the West Oakland recording studio and introduced him to a young hip hop producer named Sha. Bohemia had something he wrote in Punjabi which he recited and she told him to rap it on one of her beats. Bohemia penned the lyrics of his debut album Vich Pardesan De over the next several months, which told of his experiences as an occupied youth, assimilating to American life.
He has also sung the title song for the Warner Bros. film Chandini Chowk to China, in which he co-starred with Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone, and a number of other Bollywood films. He calls his collaborations with Akshay Kumar in “Chandni Chowk to China” and “8×10 Tasveer” a “dream come true.” The superstar invited Bohemia to the premiere of “Singh is Kinng” at the Torino Film Festival, and the two walked the red carpet together.
Sony Music India in May 2012 labeled Bohemia. Sony Music handled his music releases, dispatches, and events as a crucial portion of the partnership through its administration program.
Thousand Thoughts, his fourth album, was released in September 2012. It earned the Best Non-Resident Punjabi Album category at the PTC Punjabi Music Awards in 2013. He was the first rap musician to feature on Coke Studio Sessions when he performed three songs in the fifth season. Bohemia also collaborated with Sonu Kakkar and Jamaican-American rapper Sean Kingston on a song.
Bohemia found his own music label, Kali Denali Music, in 2015.
In New York, Bohemia was featured in XXL magazine.
Bohemia’s most recent album, Skull & Bones: The Final Chapter, was published in 2017.
On July 26, 2018, he released the first track “Sandesa” off his upcoming album Skull & Bones: Volume 2, which turned out to be a remixed version of one of his previously unreleased singles. Bohemia released his debut original track “Koi Farak Nahi” for his album Skull & Bones: Volume 2 on November 27, 2018.
Bohemia completed a tour of India at the end of 2018, performing in Chandigarh, Delhi, Mumbai, and Rajasthan. He also appeared on No.1 Yaarian with Raftaar and Salim Merchant in an episode.
SOME OF THE SONGS BY BOHEMIA
- Same Beef Song | BOHEMIA | Ft. | Sidhu Moose Wala | Byg Byrd | New Punjabi Songs | Official Video
- Full Video: “Dua Karo” | Street Dancer 3D | Varun D,Shraddha K | Arijit Singh, Bohemia, Sachin-Jigar
- BOHEMIA – Kali Denali (Official Audio) Classic Viral Hit!
- Gippy Grewal Feat Bohemia: Car Nachdi Official Video | Jaani, B Praak | Parul Yadav
- Gaadi Official Video Song: Bohemia, Pardhaan, Sukhe Muzical Doctorz | Latest Songs 2018
THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT HIM
- Outside of Kali Denali Music, Bohemia rarely collaborates, especially when it comes to hip-hop. However, Desi Beam from Chandigarh, Punjab is the only desi hip-hop crew with which he has ever worked.
- Bohemia has previously worked with Universal Music and Sony Music. He is, however, currently signed with T-Series. Sony Music, according to the rapper, was delaying the video release of his song Beparwah, a single off his 2012 album Thousand Thoughts. He went on to say that other musicians are following in his footsteps, while labels are attempting to keep him down. It’s far too hot for Twitter exposure.
• He has released more than 105 tracks so far, according to Bohemia’s Wikipedia page. It also contains four studio albums, many singles, and works of art.
- Akshay Kumar introduced Bohemia, the Punjabi rapper to Bollywood with the introduction of CC2C. During all these years, they have established a deep connection and respect the working method of each other. In his first Hollywood effort Breakaway, he even gave Akshay Kumar a path. It is rumored that Akshay Kumar is the leading biopic in Bohemia.
• Once a child came up to him and said that he didn’t like Yo! Yo! Singh. The room was filled with applause, but Bohemia requested all to remain calm. He gave his young admirer a lesson to respect an artist because of his hard work and enthusiasm.
• After a string of hit singles, he is gearing up to make his acting debut with this series. The series is around an Indian girl named Radha and a character named Ranvir, who is played by Bohemia. Radha follows through on her pledge to marry Ranvir in a carefully arranged marriage. Her hopes of creating her own literary novel fade when she travels to America with her new spouse. But her perspective shifts on her wedding day, as she embarks on her new life with her newlywed husband, Ranvir (Bohemia). When it comes to an arranged marriage in the Desi culture, the plot shows several discrepancies in the society we live in.
• Jasmine Sandlas once admitted that Bohemia assisted her in escaping a federal legal suit. After some arguments, her fellow musicians sued her, and she was virtually permanently forbidden from performing. On the other hand, he only produced her record and contributed a verse to it. He even landed her a record deal with Sony Music for her album, Gulabi. Bohemia is, in fact, the first desi rapper to be featured on Coke Studio. He appeared in the fourth episode of Coke Studio Pakistan’s fifth season. On the other hand, he is the only desi rapper to have recorded three tracks for Coke Studio in a single episode, including School Di Kitab, Paise Da Nasha, and Kandyari Dhol Geet.
• He has made no secret of his desire to write poetry. His raps are inspired by the same things.
• To date, Bohemia is the only desi rapper to have worked with Snoop Dogg, Sin (Favorite), and west coast heavyweight Glasses Malone (My Ride). Though these tracks were never a commercial success, they are a hip-hop fan’s dream.
• He admires musicians such as Jagjeet Singh and the late Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. His music has had a significant impact on the streets of America, and he has a sizable underground following. He is often regarded as the father of Desi Hip Hop.
- The biggest controversy at the moment was when he criticized Yo Yo Honey Singh’s singing technique. https://youtu.be/B0MrNYnaqms
There is no doubt that Bohemia is the “Father of Punjabi Rap.” He not only invented the genre but also popularised it all over the world. Consider how many Punjabi rappers you were familiar with prior to the release of Bohemia in the late 2000s. None, to be precise. Punjabi rap did not exist before Bohemia’s first worldwide acclaimed album, ‘Pesa Nasha Pyaar’
SOME QUOTES BY BOHEMIA
- Selective memory is active memory. The more is on your min, the slower you grind.
- You will never change time if you change for time.
- Never compare an initiator with followers.
- When I created my music I had no one to look upto because Desi rap did not exist befor me.
- Raja stands for Rise above jealousy and anger.
- Dad told me to always stand on my own feet. Fuck the world if they don’t agree.
If you listen closely to Bohemia’s interviews, you’ll notice that, despite being the founder of Punjabi hip hop, he’s never been excessively enthusiastic about it. Other Punjabi rappers, on the other hand, can be seen bragging about their success in interviews.
If you like hip hop, you’ll get what I’m saying in a heartbeat. Bohemia is a gem of a rapper who will remain desi rap’s most adored underdog.
FAQ ON THE BLOG –
Which is the latest song by Bohemia?
Kingdom released on May 21, 2021
Which was Bohemia’s first single?
Their first single “Sha Te Ra” was released as a music video, but the song itself was not included on Vich Pardesan De. The following album, Pesa Nasha Pyar [Money, Intoxication, Love] became the first full-length Punjabi rap album released by a major label.
Which religion does Bohemia follow?
Bohemia was born in Karachi, Sindh into an ethnic Punjabi-Christian family. He has a bible and a Guru Granth Sahib at his home, as one of his forefathers was Sikh at one point.
Who is the first Punjabi rapper in India?
In 1990, Hip-Hop was introduced in India by Punjabi rapper Baba Sehgal (Harjeet Singh Sehgal).
Who is the legend of Punjabi rap?
Bohemia is the pioneer of Punjabi rap and one of the primary musicians responsible for the genre’s current popularity. Bohemia rapper tracks have been continuous hits among desi hip hop fans. We don’t see the need to introduce him because his name is already well-known.